Junior V2X R&D Engineer
Posted on: September 12, 2023
Description Are you interested in improving and shaping the
transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated
individuals? Consider joining the Leidos team operating FHWA's
Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT
research lab focused on the improvement of transportation
operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL
provides a variety of services to support the advancement and
adoption of emerging technologies, including automation and
communication in vehicles and on the roadside. Learn about STOL
here: To support these goals, Leidos is seeking a Test and
Development Engineer who is motivated by variety, thrives in a
challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and will be a
key part of a team developing and extending a variety of
applications and components in support of transportation research.
This person will play a role in developing and evaluating
technologies using the 5.9 GHz band. Systems of interest relate to
- Vehicle-to-infrastructure, Vehicle-to-pedestrian, and
vehicle-to-vehicle communication hardware and standards,
- Connected and Automated vehicles,
- Traffic operations, and
- Intelligent transportation systems. The successful candidate
will work closely with fellow engineers, software developers, and
project managers to identify testing needs; develop and execute
test plans; and install, evaluate, and manage communications
hardware. The candidate should enjoy working in a lab environment
and in real-world, hands-on settings developing and testing new
solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance the state of
technology and promote adoption. The Test Engineer will be part of
a growing research team that advances connected and automated
vehicle technologies for FHWA. Primary responsibilities include:
- Interacting with in-house and external development teams to
identify, understand, and resolve technical goals and
- Working with wireless device vendors to procure and evaluate
- Installing, configuring, and testing wireless hardware and
- Sensor calibration and working with robotic systems.
- Independent troubleshooting and task leadership.
- Evaluating new communication methods using cellular and DSRC in
a vehicle environment.
- Supporting Connected Vehicle- and Infrastructure-based
applications on various platforms.
- Tracking and reporting performance of hardware and software
- Producing clear and concise records of testing and other
- Test planning and development, system testing, and user
documentation. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering,
Communications Engineering, from an accredited college in related
engineering discipline, or equivalent experience and less than 2
years prior relevant experience.
- 2 years of experience working in a lab environment.
- Familiar with Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Good understanding of the interactions between software and
hardware (control and sensing).
- Experience with networking protocols including IPv4, IPv6, TCP,
UDP, and SNMP.
- Experience with creating and executing comprehensive test
- Ability to identify, record, document, and track faults and
flaws in a device under test.
- Self-motivated and ability to self-teach with minimal
- Interest in hands-on work with hardware and software.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must follow through on commitments and deliver quality products
on or ahead of schedule.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance (which
includes three years of immediate residency in the US).
- Willing to travel to test sites within the US to support
occasional test events for multiple weeks (10% on average).
- Hold a valid driver's license in the US and has a good driving
record. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience with radio frequency device performance
characterization and modulation techniques.
- Experience with wireless standards including IEEE 802.11 &
1609, 3GPP LTE & 5G, SAE J2735 & J2945.
- Awareness of connected vehicle and ITS standards including IEEE
1609, 3GPP Rel 14/15 PC5, SAE J2735/J2945/J3161, NTCIP
- Hands-on setup of data collection hardware and software.
- Experience with Keysight FieldFox or other spectrum
- Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, C++, C#, C.
- Understanding of connected and/or automated vehicle
- Understanding of network simulation tools (e.g. NS-3).
- Geospatial positioning (e.g. GPS) and position correction (e.g.
- Awareness of the systems engineering process.
- Network administration/engineering.
- Data management.
- Familiar with R, Matlab, or other professional statistical
software package. Anticipated pay range for this role: $65000 -
$80000 - $90000 Pay Range: Pay Range $53,300.00 - $82,000.00 -
$110,700.00 The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general
guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary.
Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but
are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education,
experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal
equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement
(if any), or other law.
Keywords: Leidos, Chantilly , Junior V2X R&D Engineer, Engineering , Herndon, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!