Automation and Controls Engineer
Company: GHD Group
Posted on: September 14, 2023
Organizations don't innovate, people do.
As part of our digital transformation business, you'll help clients
unlock innovation, embrace the future and change communities for
And we'll help you stimulate new thinking, accelerate your career
and connect you to projects that really matter.
Join our team of over 600 data scientists, design thinkers,
immersive digital consultants, project managers and innovators, all
working to create positive change for generations to come.
We are seeking an Automation and Control Systems Engineer to be
based in Chantilly, VA
No VISA sponsorship or support is available for this role at this
As part of the team, you will be asked to support the development
of novel automation solutions to complex industrial, municipal, and
manufacturing processes. We are looking for "out of the box"
thinkers that are challenged by our clients to offer innovative
approaches to design new and improve existing automated processes.
As an Automation Engineer, you will work alongside experienced
engineers and be part of our growing team, contributing to exciting
projects throughout North America, and abroad. You will need to
work effectively as a member of an operating team, which means good
communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
We're seeking the curious, those who are stimulated by fresh
thinking and a desire to shape our communities in new, positive
As part of a truly global team, working on complex and rewarding
projects, you'll be at the forefront of driving change.
Working with an energetic and high performing team, this position
offers a variety of work and will see you involved in:
- Design of Discrete, Continuous and Batch Control Systems
- Specification of Process Transmitters, Analytical
Instrumentation, Control Valves, Motors, & VFDs
- Selection & specification of PLC, HMI, & SCADA system hardware
- Programming in the IEC 61131 Programming Languages (Ladder,
Sequential Functions, Function Blocks, Structured Text);
familiarity with Visual Basic a plus
- Loop Tuning
- HMI Design: ISA-101, Alarm Management, Historians
- Specification and installation of Computer Hardware,
Virtualization, Networking, Server/Client configurations
- OT/IT Communications Infrastructure Design, Fieldbus networking
design (Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, etc), Copper/Fiber design,
Wireless radio and Cellular design
- System Reliability & Safety, Redundancy Design; experience with
HAZOPs and Safety Instrumented Systems are a plus
- Cybersecurity Design and Implementation
- Producing & modifying project deliverables including Process
Flow Diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, Instrument
Lists, I/O Lists, Network Address Lists, Instrumentation/Equipment
Specifications, Loop Diagrams, Control Panel Layouts & Bills of
Materials, Installation Details, Area Plans, Conduit/Cable
schedules, Construction Specifications
- Cost estimation and proposal development
- Project management and scope development
- Coordination and assistance with system checkout & startup
- Train end-users and maintenance person
- What you will bring to the Team:
- Up to 25% Travel required for out-of-town projects
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related
Engineering discipline; Master's degree a plus
- 8+ years of automation & control systems experience in the oil
& gas, petrochemical, water/wastewater, manufacturing, and/or
renewable energy industries
- Professional Engineer (PE) license will be highly regarded
- Proficiency in Allen-Bradley/Modicon PLC/HMI program
- Understanding of Databases and Analytics
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual
achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD
is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without
regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship,
color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability,
marital status or veteran status.
Take on some of the world's toughest challenges - with everyone at
GHD backing you every step of the way.
We'll give you control over your career, empower you to find
innovative solutions and help you create a lasting impact.
See where your commitment could take you with GHD.
Our Pledge to You
At GHD, we don't just believe in the power of commitment, we live
and breathe it every day.
That's why we pledge to empower all of our people to make a
positive impact. Combining our deep technical expertise with the
capabilities of our clients and partners, we respond to some of the
most complex challenges facing our planet today.
See where your commitment could take you.
That's the #PowerOfCommitment
Who we are
GHD is a global professional services company that leads through
engineering, architecture, and construction expertise. We are an
employee-owned company with over 11,000 diverse and skilled
individuals, across more than 200 offices spanning five
The Power of Commitment is our brand promise. It's what makes us
different. We are bound to our stated vision and determination to
address humanity's most urgent needs: to ensure water, energy and
urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
About the Team
At GHD Digital, our people-centric and innovative approach combines
industry insights with digital mindsets to maximise opportunities
for growth and success. Our complete offering builds business value
- from location intelligence and data management, to applied
innovation, advanced visualisation, and predictive and artificial
Keywords: GHD Group, Chantilly , Automation and Controls Engineer, Engineering , Chantilly, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!