Nurse Practitioner - PPV
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Position SummaryThe Nurse Practitioner is responsible for
modeling the 3 Company values of Compassion, Integrity, and
Excellence, and for promoting the Compassus philosophy, using the 6
Pillars of success as the foundation. S/he is responsible for
upholding the Code of Ethical Conduct and for promoting positive
working relationships within the Company, among all departments,
and all external stakeholders. The Nurse Practitioner, if providing
palliative care, cares for patients facing chronic, complex, and/or
life-threatening conditions at various locations within the flow of
patient care. S/he provides assessments, disease and treatment
education, and symptom management to meet the needs to palliative
care patients and their families. The Nurse Practitioner helps the
patient and family maintain their maximum level of comfort and
coping. S/he provides care and support in collaboration with the
PCP and specialists; and ensures compliance with practice standards
and codes. S/he must collaborate appropriately with the assigned
Compassus Medical Director. S/he must flex schedule to meet agency
needs. S/he is responsible for applying the rules and regulations
of state and federal regulatory agencies and other certified
The Nurse Practitioner, if providing hospice care, functions as an
extension of the IDT and hospice physician to provide routine
recertification and emergency assessments, educational, and
evaluative services to meet the needs of patients and their
families. S/he helps the patient and family maintain their maximum
level of comfort and coping. S/he flexes schedule to meet agency
visit needs and may be asked to provide after-hours emergency
visits and/ or admissions. S/he is responsible for applying the
rules and regulations of state and federal regulatory agencies and
other certified agencies.Position Specific Responsibilities
- If providing Palliative Care
- Performs routine and urgent assessments:
- Consistent communication of availability to manager.
- A minimum of 4 days of availability per month is required,
however a minimum number of visits per month is not guaranteed to
the PPV NP.
- Ability to triage consults by patient acuity.
- Performs bedside palliative care with patient/family
- Orders, performs, and interprets laboratory and radiology tests
within scope of professional practice.
- Prescribes medications including controlled substances to the
extent delegated and licensed.
- Orders treatments and durable medical equipment as
- Performs other therapeutic measures as indicated.
- Consults with palliative care physician or designees as needed,
informs primary physician of services provided and collaborate with
other physicians as needed.
- Assists in all facets of care coordination for palliative care
- Prepares and maintains accurate patient records, charts, and
documents to support sound medical practice and reimbursement for
- Complies with applicable laws and regulations with respect to
- Completes accurate billing and coding activities for all
patient encounters according to CMS guidelines.
- Defines goals for professional growth and participates actively
in professional activities and organizations.
- Engages in active and frequent self-care activities for
personal and professional growth and longevity.
- Adheres to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients,
families, staff and the Organization.
- Assists patients and families in identification of goals of
treatment and ongoing plans of care at every visit. Communicates
these goals among Interdisciplinary Team (IDT).
- Collaborates/Communicates with Medical Director, Attending
Physician, Hospital Staff and IDT:
- Participates in monthly IDT meeting with market team.
- Collaborates/ Communicates with IDT needs of patient for
clinical and psycho-social interventions.
- Assists in identifying the need for intervention of other IDT
- Effectively communicates patient and family needs to IDT.
- Completes and submits required clinical documentation within 24
hours of visit completion.
- Educates patient and caregiver regarding:
- Care of patient.
- Disease process.
- Goal setting.
- Symptom control.
- Treatment options.
- Advance Care Planning.
- Supervises nurse trainees, including graduate and advance
practice nurses in field placements.
- Participates in supervision of other trainees, including
medical students, residents, fellows, and social work and
- If providing Hospice Face to Face Visits
- Performs routine and emergency assessments:
- Completes routine and emergency recertification visits on each
patient entering their 3rd benefit period or beyond (including
admissions and transfers).
- Records observations, treatments, and other pertinent
- Communicates with Medical Director, Attending Physician, DCS
and IDT as directed regarding findings from the visits and any
measures to alleviate symptoms.
- Provides physical and emotional care to support the patient and
family in period of crisis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Education and/or Experience
- Master's degree, or higher, in Nursing required.
- Minimum of five (5) years nursing experience required; clinical
nursing care in oncology, hospice, geriatrics, intensive care
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret
general business periodicals, professional journals, technical
procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports,
business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to
effectively present information and respond to questions from
leaders, colleagues, investors, and external parties. Strong
written and verbal communications.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to understand, read, write,
and speak English. Articulates and embraces hospice philosophy.
Strong organizational and time management skills. Must be able to
work a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends. Must be
able to travel. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information,
such as patient and Company files.Certifications, Licenses and
- Active and unencumbered CNS or Nurse Practitioner license in
state of employment required.
- Certified as a Nurse Practitioner in Adult, Family, Acute, or
- Active NPI number.
- Maintain active DEA certification if state allows prescription
of controlled substances by APPs.
- Board Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care is
preferred, but not required.State SpecificPhysical Demands and Work
Environment: The physical demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
colleague is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or
feel; talk and hear. The colleague frequently is required to stand,
sit, and reach with hands and arms. The colleague is occasionally
required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
and taste or smell. The colleague must frequently lift and/or move
more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision. The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those a colleague encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. There will be
possible exposure to infectious diseases through working with
clinical caregivers. The noise level in the work environment is
At Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, diversity,
equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our Pillars of Success. We
are committed to creating a fair work environment where our
colleagues feel welcomed, highly valued, and respected. As an equal
opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
Keywords: Compassus, Chantilly , Nurse Practitioner - PPV, Healthcare , Chantilly, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!