Company: The Teaching Company
Posted on: January 15, 2020
POSITION TITLE: PRODUCER
A pioneer in the lifelong-learning market, The Teaching Company is
a popular and growing media company that produces The Great
Courses: a series of comprehensive and engaging, university-level,
video and audio courses taught by the world's greatest professors
without the pressure of schedules, homework, or exams.
The Great Courses cover a wide variety of topics ranging from
traditional liberal arts subjects, such as philosophy, history,
literature, and the sciences, to practical classes, in photography,
foreign languages, health and wellness, business skills, and much
more. The company has ongoing partnerships with venerable
educational brands such as the Smithsonian, National Geographic,
Mayo Clinic, The Culinary Institute of America, and others.
The Teaching Company has developed a catalog of over 700 courses
comprising over 8,900 hours of content. The Great Courses are
delivered to customers via digital streaming, DVD, and CD sales on
the e-commerce site www.TheGreatCourses.com; and, most recently,
through The Great Courses Plus, a digital subscription platform
that PC Magazine has called"Netflix for Learning." The Great
Courses can be found on Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Channels,
Comcast Xfinity Video on Demand, Audible.com, Recorded Books,
Kanopy, Hoopla, and more.
The Great Courses also has highly rated apps available across most
major app platforms, including iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Roku,
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Alexa.
Since its establishment in 1990, The Teaching Company has sold more
than 25 million courses and prominent and loyal customers of The
Teaching Company include Bill Gates, Charles Schwab, and George
Lucas, to name a few.
Under the direction of the Supervising Producer, the Producer will
be responsible for managing one of several production teams in all
aspects of pre- and post-production of highly-produced, long-format
multimedia video courses, with overall responsibility for the
audio/visual representation of the content, delivered on-time and
Working collaboratively with the professor/talent, the Content
Developer, and a dedicated production team, the Producer maximizes
the learning experience by planning, designing, and selecting
visual elements, and by making editing and production decisions
that maximize viewer engagement.
Additionally, the Producer performs project management tasks for
course completion, such as planning and overseeing studio and/or
field taping sessions, developing schedules and budgets, and
ensuring that every detail is in place (e.g., final audio, lecture
titles, etc.), prior to delivering a finished product to the
Quality Assurance Department.
Reports to: Supervising Producer
Other Key Relationships: Director of Creative, Director, Business
Operations&Planning, Content Developer, Production Manager,
Preditor, Editor, Associate Producer, Graphic Artist, Audio
Engineer, Studio Personnel.
- Overall responsibility for production team's execution&
delivery of all aspects of pre- and post-production on-time and
- Establish a collaborative relationship with professor/talent
from pre- to post-production, in partnership with the Content
Developer and Intellectual Property/Associate Producer.
- Review the professor's script submissions with the content
development team and make production recommendations to enhance the
content experience and boost engagement.
- Create a pre-production plan by interpreting professor outlines
and scripts, with an emphasis on research, design, and selection of
visual production elements for the course.
- Communicate with scheduling team about key milestones and
deliverables and collaborate to adjust resources as needed
- Prepare for studio and/or field taping, including selection of
props and studio material selection and advising/coaching talent on
- Oversee the control room and studio process during taping
sessions, including studio personnel (director, teleprompter op.,
camera ops.) to ensure presentation of content is stylistically
appropriate, on brand and maximizes engagement.
- Make editorial decisions in post-production that enhance
engagement and the viewer comprehension of the course material,
which can often be intellectually complex and challenging.
- Design, edit, and proof graphic materials and on-screen text
with graphic artists and editors.
- Ensure delivery of all elements to the Quality Control team on
or before the due date (completed lectures, final titles, style
guide and any bonus materials)
- Act as producer and editor of course or content as
The ideal candidate for the Producer position at The Teaching
Company will have:
- Innate creativity and an ability to communicate complex
creative ideas clearly and effectively to a dedicated production
- Experience producing educational video.
- Strong project management skills; ability to guide a project
through each phase to completion.
- A command of all aspects of the HD video production
- A minimum of 5 years producing for television or other
fact-based video programming outlets.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere.
- Ability to function as a strong leader within a highly
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced video
- Excellent attention to detail while working with complex
- Proven ability to work within a set schedule, and time&
budgetary constraints, while not sacrificing the creativity and
quality of the end product.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop.
- BA or MA, preferably in Video production or Communications
(with an emphasis on production)
Keywords: The Teaching Company, Chantilly , Producer, Other , Chantilly, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!