Systems Engineer II - System Admin
Company: Ball Corporation
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph
security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For
more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with
us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
Systems Engineer II - System Admin
The selected individual will be responsible for the System
Administration of a deployed system in the AWS C2S environment.
This position requires skills and experience in Windows and Linux
system administration, AWS Cloud Resources Troubleshooting, user
account maintenance, and IT system security standards. Candidate
must possess ability to troubleshoot problems, automate tasks to
ensure repeatability, create and follow documentation, plan
effectively to complete tasks, and communicate clearly both
verbally and in writing.
What You'll Do:
- Perform Tier 2 software application maintenance and backups on
assigned systems running a variety of operating systems to include
Linux and Windows.
- AWS Cloud administration responsible for configuration,
maintenance, monitoring and overall support of multiple AWS C2S
- Setup, install, configure AWS Workspaces, maintain, and restore
backups and snapshots. Update system process documentation, guides,
diagrams, and SOPs as needed.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance such as general
computer tasks, backup/restore, application loads, disk
utilization, system loading and system monitoring
- Detect, isolate, document, quickly report, and resolve system
outages or problems encountered during operations of the
operational system baseline, which includes collecting diagnostic
data, restoring the system operation, developing workarounds, and
other activities necessary for recovery of a system.
- Document problems in logging and discrepancy reporting
- Collect data describing the C2S environment at the time of the
failure and performs other activities in support of Tier 3
maintenance investigation and resolution.
- Support systems integration groups as required for ongoing
analysis and integration efforts.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Administration experience with Windows and UNIX. Admin
experience with either or both preferred.
- Experience with a CI/CD tool suite, and knowledge of how they
- Experience with Jira administration.
- Experience with Jenkins administration preferred or willingness
to become a Jenkins subject matter expert.
- Experience with scripting and automation, including
- Strong automation background with the ability to troubleshoot /
solve complex problems.
- Strong communication, presentation, and people skills with
ability to interface with senior lead engineers and program
- Ability to multi-task, to support multiple customers, and to
work within specific schedule and cost constraints.
- Strong teamwork skills - The ability to interact productively
with end users, analysts, other personnel, and customers in a
diverse team setting.
- Ability to work and collaborate in virtual environment where
team members are not co-located.
- Ability to self-motivate and function with minimal
- Ability to self-direct with good organizational skills.
- Additional preferred, but not required skills:
- Program experience in Software Engineering.
- DevOps support experience on one or more programs.
- Security + certification.
- Understanding and implementation experience with SCRUM / Lean /
Agile / Scaled Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge and experience with software engineering best
practices and work instructions.
- Customer engagement/relationship management experience or prior
- Working knowledge of CI/CD processes and best practices.
- Working knowledge of DevSecOps processes.
- Strong computer skills and/or programming experience in one or
- Process experience generating process documentation/tooling
aids and instructing others in a SW process area.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government
customer access meets the requirement for this position will be
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $117,000 - $145,500 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For
details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your
browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
protected veteran status, or disability status.
Keywords: Ball Corporation, Chantilly , Systems Engineer II - System Admin, Other , Chantilly, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!