Big Data Engineer
Company: Knowesis, Inc.
Posted on: October 3, 2021
Knowesis is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to support the
Department of Defense (DoD) Office of Inspector General (OIG) in
all aspects of design, development, and delivery of data solutions.
This position requires a Secret clearance or higher and requires
U.S. Citizenship (applicants without proof of US
citizenship will not be considered due to the position’s security
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modeling; use data
to discover tasks that can be automated.
- Work side-by-side with data scientists and analysts to define
problems, build models, and perform analysis to identify and
- Work with data scientists and BI developers to translate
business requirements into curated datasets suitable for analytics
- Design and construct new processes for data modeling and
production using prototypes, algorithms, predictive models, and
- Utilize Python, R, and SQL in data analytics to collect,
understand, transform, cleanse, store, and share data in a
privacy-preserving way (ETL).
- Leverage the Cloudera Data Platform to deliver data modeling,
data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines.
- Document data pipelines for maintainability.
- Assist in testing, governance, data quality, training, and
- Communicate with users, other technical teams, and senior
management to collect requirements, describe data modeling
decisions and data engineering strategy.
- Proficiency with a modern programming language, including R
- Strong command of SQL.
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building
ETL pipelines (NiFi experience preferred).
- Experience writing code to author, schedule, and monitor data
- Experience using big data technologies (Cloudera, Hadoop, Hive,
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed
systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the
development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding
standards, code reviews, source management, building processes,
testing, and operations.
- Experience with virtualization technologies.
- Experience with JIRA.
- Experience with Linux system administration.
- Working within the Military Health Systems (MHS) and with the
DoD military service branches is a plus.
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Software
Engineering, Mathematics, or related technical discipline, with
three (3) years minimum experience in data engineering, including
experience with one or more modern scripting languages (R or
- Certifications: CompTIA Security +
- Bachelors or better in Computer Science or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Knowesis, Inc., Chantilly , Big Data Engineer, Other , Chantilly, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!